Sunday, June 03, 2012

Controversy

Four years ago, almost to the day, I was approached by a small Australian company, Legends Rubbers, to adapt images from my Cowboy Babes series to the quirky tin boxes Legends used to package their condoms. The deal didn't work out, even if it did gain the company a degree of attention, thanks to a piece on Gawker.
This month, the tins will be seen, finally, in an exhibition at the Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, in Victoria, Australia. Curated by Dr. Vivien Gaston, Controversy: The Power Of Art is intended to "explore the social and cultural impact of art through examples that have provoked intense response and controversy", from the late 19th century to the present day, by Australian and international artists working in painting, photography, print-making, video, sculpture, installation and video.
One of my original Cowboy Babes paintings, All Tied Up!, in high gloss enamel on canvas, 100cm x 150 cm, will also be loaned by a private collector to the museum for the period of the show.
Controversy: The Power Of Art
will open on 21st June and runn until 12th August. The Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery can be found at Civic Reserve, Dunns Road, Mornington, Victoria. For further information, 'phone + 61 3 5975 4395.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

12 August is my birthday! snap...
the mornington show sounds like a must see. Vivian Gaston is a great envisioner and her high heels impress me too! Will be there.

Vida

Anonymous said...

it was an extremely well attended opening yesterday. my work friend who lives bayside came with me. I believe it was the second art exhibition she had ever been to in her life! She pointed to hazel's painting and said "i like that one". Its a pity the show is so far from town as I'd love to see it all again on a quieter day. I took some photos before an attendant smilingly told me that it was not permitted. I will send to you Hazel if you would like.

Vida

Anonymous said...

an extremely well attended opening yesterday. A work friend who lived bayside nearby came with me. I believe it was the second art exhibition she had been to in her life! After seeing them all she pointed at Hazel's painting and said "I like that one". I would love to come back on a quieter day to see it all again - if only it was not so far from town. I took some photos which I can send to you later Hazel. I managed a few shots of the art before a smiling attendant came up and said it was not permitted. ooops.

vida

Anonymous said...

I really miss your blog updates! I'm hoping it's a sign that you're doing well and working too hard to keep up with the blogging.

Never lose sight of your goals, you are a truly inspirational woman : )