Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Girl, Working

One of my study paintings is to be sold at Lawson Menzies Quarterly Fine Art Auction in Sydney on Thursday, 16th August, at 6:30pm. Titled Study for Saint Shaniqua of Compton, the 59.6cm x 49.5cm image is in gouache on 100 per cent cotton paper. The pre-sale estimate is $A2,000 to $A3,000.
Study for Saint Shaniqua of Compton
is one of a small number of similar works I painted in Thailand, in 2008, during a period I had a studio in the heart of the seaside capitol of sex tourism, Pattaya. I abandoned the series but kept the studies for reference purposes. The only reason this one found its way into the secondary market was because I was bankrupted and the Insolvency Trust auctioned all my studies and sketches to pay creditors.
Seeing this painting again after a few years, I can see how the ideas within it evolved to become the
Big Pin-Up series . However, it's raw and unrefined and if it had not been seized, I might have destroyed it. I'm glad I didn't get the chance. It's fun, sexy, and offers a glimpse into my creative process at the time.
Study for Saint Shaniqua of Compton can be viewed at Menzies Gallery, 12 Todman Avenue Kensington, NSW, Tel: 02 8344 5404, from Thursday 9th to Thursday 16th August, 10.00am to 5.30pm daily.

2 comments:

Jason McDonald said...

Hazel, you and your perspective continue to inspire (me, for this argument). Thank you for the good and the bad.

-Jason

Jason McDonald said...

Hazel, you and your perspective continue to inspire (me, for this argument). Thank you for the good and the bad.

-Jason