Sunday, November 27, 2016

He's The Man

With Robert Doyle, the Right Honourable Lord Mayor of Melbourne, after the completion of Ten Dicta For Young Women Who Are Artists in 2013.

The Lord Mayor contacted me after reading Art Matters, a blog entry about the importance of public art, critiquing the "tedious, disinterested bureaucratic processes" of local government and urging a direct connection between artists and officials.

I cannot speak highly enough about my experience of working with the Lord Mayor on my first public artwork. The administration for the project was comprehensive yet efficient. He trusted my creative decisions absolutely, he seems to have an innate understanding of artists and was engaging, respectful and gracious – including to my very young, punk, somewhat starstruck Project Assistant, Kirsten. He even had the good humour to pose for this photo.

In short, Lord Mayor Robert Doyle made Ten Dicta happen, and he ensured that the process of creating and installing a public artwork for the City of Melbourne a great experience.


Ten Dicta For Young Women Who Are Artists
is at Royal Lane, 231 – 233 Bourke Street, Melbourne CBD.

No comments: