Saturday, November 26, 2016

The Women Behind Ten Dicta

It may seem that Ten Dicta For Young Women Who Are Artists was installed with only two painters and my assistant Kirsten. But there are always people working hard behind the scenes. Without them, pulling off any project of significant size would be impossible.

In this instance, everyone working behind the scenes was a woman – each of them
intelligent, talented, experienced, efficient, passionate and dedicated. They resolved every issue with grit and grace so the project could be pulled off flawlessly, on a tight schedule.

After I left Melbourne I printed a photograph of us onto watercolour paper, made it into thank you cards and sent one to each woman.
I was never sure how to publicly credit and adequately thank the women behind Ten Dicta For Young Women Who Are Artists because their roles are discrete. I remain unsure of the protocols but I am keen to create a record of their work on this project.


Above, from left to right: Sarah Ritchie,
artist and Public Art Program Project Coordinator, ‎Arts and Culture, City of Melbourne; Jane Crawley, Manager of Arts Melbourne, City of Melbourne; Shelley Blake, Marketing Manager, Arts House, City of Melbourne; me; Kirsten George, artist and Project Assistant; and Shona Johnson, Team Leader, Arts Programs, Arts and Culture Branch, City of Melbourne. Not pictured, camera-averse Brock Brocklesby, Project Manager, Megafun; and Michaela Coventry, then General Manager of Megafun. It was a pleasure to work with you all. Thank you for your unwavering commitment, enthusiasm and tolerance while I learned on my feet. And thank you for showing me by example how to work together as a team – especially as a team of women.

Ten Dicta For Young Women Who Are Artists
is at
Royal Lane, 231 – 233 Bourke Street, Melbourne CBD.

No comments: